Dog Bite Injury Attorneys in Riverside, CA
Get the Dog Bite Injury Compensation You Deserve
Dogs are inherently good animals. They are called man’s best friend for a reason. But there may be times when something goes wrong, and you get bitten by one. Depending on the dog’s size and the force of the bite, your injuries could be extensive causing extensive medical bills. You may want compensation for your pain and suffering. That is where the Law Office of Harlan Kistler in Riverside, CA, can help. We specialize in personal injury resulting from dog bites. Our practice will hold the party’s insurance company responsible for the negligence and damages in court and get you the monetary compensation you deserve. We have been working with citizens in the Riverside, CA area since 1989, and we know the law. Contact us today for your consultation.
California Laws on Dog Bites
In California, dog owners can be liable when their dog bites someone. If that bite causes injury that requires medical attention, the case becomes even more severe. However, there are specific regulations dog owners, and their offending pets must violate for the bite to be a punishable offense under the law. These legal requirements include:
- Public Place: The dog bite must have taken place in a public area or while you were lawfully on private property. If you were bitten by a dog in the course of military or police action, under Section 3342 of the California Civil Code, you are not entitled to compensation.
- Injury Source: The injuries must be from a dog bite. They cannot result from any other part of the dog’s body or any other behavior than a bite. This can include a dog jumping on you and causing injury from scratches or falls.
- Falls Under “Strict Liability:” California is a “strict liability” state, meaning the owner cannot claim they did not know the dog would act aggressively. They cannot escape liability because of good past behavior. They are liable for all damages resulting from a bite, but not for other forms of injury.
Our Law Office & Dog Bite Cases
The Law Offices of Harlan Kistler over the past 31 years has handled many dog bite cases. We can ensure you get the compensation you need for medical bills, psychotherapy, emotional trauma, missed wages, and more. We weigh all the facts of the case, examine whether the dog or owner has a history of biting or violence, and present evidence that negligence was present. Our skilled dog bite attorneys promise to go beyond their standard legal responsibilities for you and employ 31 years of skilled experience to render a fair and just decision in your favor. Call our law office today for your consultation, and let us get you what is rightfully yours.
Compensation for Dog Bite Injuries
When a dog in California bites you, you are entitled to punitive damages. State law allows compensation in personal injury cases if you can demonstrate the defendant acted with malice, fraud, or oppression, or if the defendant ordered the dog to attack. As formerly mentioned, you may also collect if the owner had no interest in preventing the attack based on past good behavior. However, compensation in these cases generally follows a 10:1 ratio rule. For instance, if you claim $10,000 in damages, you cannot expect any additional punitive damages to exceed $100,000. It is also important to note that there is a two-year statute of limitations on dog bite cases. Call our law office to go over the unique details of your dog bite litigation.
How to Secure Compensation for Your Dog Bite Case
Securing compensation in a dog bite case is possible. It simply takes time. Before and after you receive a judgment, there are various factors you must consider that will impact the payout for your case. These factors include:
- Your Health Condition: Your health will significantly impact the compensation amount in your case, as well as the timeline. Approximately 350,000 dog bites in the U.S. require some form of emergency treatment, hospitalization, surgery, medications, or physical therapy every year. You will want to get an accurate prognosis and long-term recovery figure from your doctor to assess proper compensation accurately.
- Your Financial Means: Even when you seek punitive damages in a dog bite lawsuit, there will be lawyer and courtroom fees for which you will be responsible. Be sure that you have the means to cover these fees before your payout is processed.
- Defendant’s Insurance Company: If a defendant’s insurance covers dog bites, they may try and settle with you out of court. This is how a majority of dog bite complaints end. But they will conduct their investigation and pay you out after it is complete. This could take weeks or months. Be prepared to wait.
Contact Our Law Practice If You’ve Been Bitten
Dog bites can have lasting effects on your physical and mental well-being. You do not have to go through the complex legal and recovery process alone. Talk to our experts at the Law Offices of Harlan Kistler. We will guide you through everything, be your advocate from start to finish inside and outside court, and get you the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Call today for your legal consultation.
Why Choose Us
- Free Consultations Available
- Over 25 Years Experience
- No Recovery? No Fee!
- Individualized Service
- Our Firm Has Successfully Represented More Than 2,000 Clients, Recovering $5,000,000 Dollars For People Just Like You.