Obtain Compensation for Boating Accidents in Riverside, CA
Our Legal Team is Here to Help you Get the Money You Deserve
California is home to many beautiful waterways. Situated on the West Coast and home to many recreational lakes, California is a sailor’s paradise. While these stunning locations provide scenic views and a place to go boating, they also open the opportunity for more accidents. There are many factors, like water conditions and weather, that are beyond your control when you hit the open water. This always leaves the possibility of injury, especially when numerous boats are sharing the same waterway. If you’ve been injured in a boating accident due to the wrongful or negligent actions of another individual, you need the team at the Law Offices of Harlan B. Kistler to represent you. Our team will help to ensure you get fair compensation for your injuries. Contact us today to learn more.
You’re Entitled to Fair Compensation for Your Injuries
If you’ve been injured in a boat accident, you’re likely feeling overwhelmed. Not only do you have to seek medical attention for any injuries, but you may also be unable to return to work, depending on the severity of the damage. This can leave you unsure of what to do to help yourself. Luckily, our team is here to help you protect your rights and advocate for you when you need it most. We’ll take a hard look at your case and gather all of the necessary information to defend you in court. We can help you obtain compensation for all of the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages due to the inability to work
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses (in wrongful death cases)
What is the Cause of Most Boating Accidents?
While many conditions can lead to a boating accident, there is one condition that stands above the rest. By far, the most common cause of boat accidents is irresponsible boat operators. Every time you get on the water, you share it with others. Even if you’re the most experienced boater in the world, one inexperienced or negligent operator can spell disaster for you and anyone else on your boat. There are many instances that can be deemed irresponsible when it comes to the operation of a boat, and these include:
- Operating under the influence of alcohol: Unfortunately, many people partake in alcoholic beverages or drugs when on the water. This can open up the possibilities for many accidents, especially if the driver is under the influence. Boats with intoxicated drivers are more likely to hit other boats or run into debris on the water.
- Driving negligently: Often, drivers of speed boats want to use the boats at full capacity, even in waters with other boaters. This is dangerous and can lead to severe accidents, including collisions or worse.
- Not obeying rules of the water: Every waterway has certain regulations, and many lakes have certain areas where full speed is not allowed. It’s not uncommon for negligent operators to ignore the rules of the water and cause injury as a result.
Under What Condition Do Most Boating Accidents Occur?
No matter the situation that caused your injury, our legal team is here to help you receive compensation for your injuries. There are many conditions that make injury more likely on the water, so it’s important to be vigilant at all times to help protect the safety of yourself, your passengers, and others on the waterway. For the most part, boating injuries occur due to the following conditions:
- Slippery boat decks
- Multiple boat collisions
- Boat fires
- Boat capsizing
- Falling overboard
Recent California Boating Statistics
According to the Division of Boating and Waterways’ most recent reports, there were 588 boating accidents reported in 2016. These accidents resulted in 266 injuries and 50 deaths, as well as $3,911,886 in property damage. According to this same report, boating accidents are more likely to occur in July and on the weekends, usually between the hours of 2:00 and 6:00 PM. A collision with another vessel was the most common accident in 2016, accounting for 209 of the 588 accidents.
Precautions to Help Avoid Boating Injuries
Unfortunately, there’s no way to eliminate boating accidents, but there are ways that you can help to minimize the injuries that occur during a disaster or emergency. One of the best ways to help lessen the chances of serious injuries on your boat is to ensure you have all the recommended safety devices for use in emergencies. The Coast Guard suggests equipping your boats with all of the following:
- Personal floatation devices for all passengers, including various sizes for adults and children
- Functioning radio that can make distress calls in emergencies
- Sound-producing devices such as a horn, whistle, or bell
- Fire extinguisher
- Multiple types of distress signals like lights or flags
- Proper ventilation on gas-powered boats
Contact Us Today
Have you been injured in a boating accident in the Riverside, CA area? Our team is here to represent you to ensure you get fair compensation. Personal injury cases are one of our specialties, and we regularly represent individuals who have suffered traumatic brain injuries, dog bites, or spinal cord and back injuries. Please reach out to us to schedule a free, confidential consultation. We’re here to help you through your difficult times.
Why Choose Us
- Free Consultations Available
- Over 25 Years Experience
- No Recovery? No Fee!
- Individualized Service
- Our Firm Has Successfully Represented More Than 2,000 Clients, Recovering $5,000,000 Dollars For People Just Like You.